Red wine & beetroot risotto served with grilled sirloin & broccolini
As the weather has turned cooler and winter is well and truly upon us, we thought it would be the ideal time to share one of our favourite winter recipes with our Goldie family! Our head chef, Leslie Posey-Storm, has come up with the perfect hearty dish to enjoy with one of our award-winning wines.
Wine match: Goldie Estate Reserve Cabernet Merlot Franc 2013
- 500g beetroot, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 white onion
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- olive oil
- 250g Arborio risotto rice
- ¾ small glass red wine
- fresh thyme (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 50g parmesan
- Sirloin Steak
- 500g Broccolini
- Boil beetroot until tender then set aside to cool.
- Chop garlic until fine.
- Bring the chicken or vegetable stock to the boil, then put it on a low simmer.
- Blitz beetroot in food processor add stock to thin down.
- Put a decent sized pan with a heavy bottom on medium heat.
- Add butter and olive oil then add onion and garlic, stir with a wooden spoon (be careful not to burn).
- Reduce the heat to low and cook very gently for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Arborio rice to pan, stir into onion/garlic mix and cook for 3 minutes on a high heat.
- Add wine and continue to stir until absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of stock to mix, stir then add the fresh thyme.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Once stock is absorbed, add 1 more cup and stir. Continue this method until rice is al dente - this should take about 20 minutes.
- Add beetroot puree, salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Put the lid on and let it rest. Whilst the risotto is resting cook the sirloin to your liking and blanch 500gm of broccolini.
- Before you dish up stir in a nob of butter to make glossy and add a handful of parmesan.
- Sit down and enjoy with your glass of Cabernet Merlot Franc!